Thread: Routing problem with WDS

Junior Member Newbie

Routing problem with WDS

Hi Everyone,

I've just purchased two Fritzbox 7390s and have setup one as a WDS base stations (connected to ADSL), and the other as a WDS repeater. Everything seems to work well, EXCEPT any wireless device connected to the base station cannot communicate with wireless devices connected to the repeater (whether wireless on directly connected), or vis-versa.

Here's how I have things configured:

Fritzbox A (base station)
    - Connected to ADSL2+
    - DHCP server active
    - 2.4 and 5GHz radio bands active, with same SSID for both
    - "The WLAN devices displayed may communicate with each other" enabled
    - Manual radio channels (3 & 48 for 2.4/5GHz bands)
    - WLAN Security: WPA2 (CCMP), password same as Fritzbox B
    - WDS enabled and set as base station
    - Fritzbox B selected as repeater (both bands)
    - WDS security: WPA2, password same as above and Fritzbox B

Fritzbox B (repeater)
    - DHCP server DISABLED
    - 2.4 and 5GHz radio bands active, with same SSID for both and same as Fritzbox A
    - "The WLAN devices displayed may communicate with each other" enabled
    - Manual radio channels (3 & 48 for 2.4/5GHz bands), as as Fritzbox A
    - WLAN Security: WPA2 (CCMP), password same as Fritzbox A
    - WDS enabled and set as repeater
    - Fritzbox A selected as base station (5GHz band)
    - WDS security: WPA2, password same as above and Fritzbox B
    - IP settings for repeater set appropriately (IP address different from Fritzbox A and not within DHCP range, default gateway and DNS servers set to Fritzbox A).

Again, most things seem to work well:

- All devices, connected to either Fritzbox, can access the internet.
    - Devices connected to the SAME Fritzbox can communicate with each other.
    - Devices connected to the repeater (B) can access the admin interface of either Fritzbox A or B
    - Devices connected to the base (A) can access the admin interface of Fritzbox A ONLY
    - All devices have a unique IP, all on the same network subnet

What's NOT working are:

- Devices connected to A cannot communicate with devices connected to B, and vis-versa (pings time-out)
    - Devices connected to A cannot access the admin interface of B (but not vis-versa, which seems strange)

Any ideas? Is there any way to access the Fritzbox's routing tables?

Junior Member Newbie
    Here's a diagram that might help explain:

diagram.jpg

I'm only showing one device connected to each Fritzbox, but multiple devices which connect to the same Fritzbox behave in the same way, and they can connect with with each other (i.e., those connected to the same Fritzbox).

As the diagram shows, both bands (2.4 and 5 GHz) are used. The WDS link uses 5GHz, and so does at least one of the devices connected to Fritzbox A. Most other WLAN devices use 2.4GHz. This shouldn't cause a problem, right? There doesn't seem to be a pattern. Other WLAN devices connected to Fritzbox A, but which use 2.4GHz, have the same problem as the one using 5GHz.

The only other thing I can think of is that IPv6 is enabled across this network. Could that be related?

Thanks for any help/troubleshooting ideas!

Junior Member Newbie
    This does appear to be related to IPV6. If I disable IPV6 Internet>Account Information>IPV6 on the base station, then everything seems to work. I was also able to get it to work (briefly) by enabling the "Allow IPv6 prefixes announced by other IPv6 routers in the home network" option, but it seemed to be unstable.

Can someone help with how I must configure both units (base and repeater) to get IPV6 working?

Junior Member Newbie
    Ugh... I'm still finding this to be very unstable. I still have the ISP IPV6 support disabled. Now, I can ping the server connected to router A (from a host on connected to B), but only for a little while. Then, the ping requests start to time out.

What's weird is that if I make a change (any change) to either of the following settings on the base station (A), then I can again ping for a little while, but it eventually (after about 30 to 60 seconds) starts to time out:

* Allow IPv6 prefixes announced by other IPv6 routers in the home network
    * Also announce DNSv6 server via router advertisement (RFC 5006)

If I make a change to either of the above on the repeater (B), then nothing changes.

I've also completely disabled IPV6 DHCP (and set it to "There are no other DHCPv6 servers in the home network."), but this hasn't helped.

This is very frustrating... any ideas?

Junior Member Newbie
    Bump... No suggestions at all? Does anyone else have a network setup this way, using two Fritzbox 7390's with WDS?

Junior Member Newbie
    This wasn't a routing problem, and it turned out to be unrelated to IPv6. Instead, it was a wireless channel interference issue. No matter what I did I could not get the connection to be stable using any channels on the 2.4GHz band, while I had the "Use radio channels optimized for 300 Mbit/s" (40MHz channels) enabled. Once I turned that option off, I was able to get a rock solid connection.